We’re in the dead of Summer. Let’s celebrate with a Stand Up Paddleboard competition! The H2O Overdrive Summer Series is July 27-29th. This three day event includes a three and five mile flat-water race, a Weber River whitewater SUP race, and an 8-ball kayak river race. Race organizers Bob and Betsy Risner phoned into the OOA Show to give us the low-down on participating athletes, tips and tricks on how to race well, and how the public can demo boards.
Also on Episode 102, we cover News items including a goat-suit man on Ben Lomond, Snowbird launches a new mountain bike race series, a lost hiker was found in the Uinta’s, abundant rattlesnakes, Eagle Point vows to remain open, a teen poaching felon, a naked hiker was released from prison, and finally, weed dating.
Upcoming Ogden Outdoor Adventure Events:
- July 27th-29th – H20 Overdrive Summer Series
- August 1-5 Outdoor Retailer Show, No Beer before 5pm
- August 7th – Tour of Utah Begins!
- August 9th – Ogden Nature Center Outdoor Sumer Concert – Horse Feathers $20/$12
- August 10th-11th – R-Scape Relay (18 Hours of Ogden)
- August 18th – Skyline Mountain Marathon
- August 25th – Hurt in the Dirt/Skirt in the Dirt
- September 7th – Wasatch 100
- September 22nd – GEAR:30 Ogden Downriver Kayak Race
- September 22nd – XTERRA
- October 6th – Antelope Island 50/100K
In the GEAR:30 segment, we chat Voile female specific splitty, Sierra Designs, Black Diamond expansion, OR Endurance gaiters, Mountainsmith, and Movement Skis.
For the Adventure Brief, we cover tips for backpacking in the Uinta’s including waterproofing your gear, wearing solid shoes, committing to Leave-No-Trace principles, dog control, and alpine starts.
Quote of the Week: “Now I see the secret of making the best person, it is to grow in the open air and eat and sleep with the earth.” – Walt Whitman